The island is a terrific option for people who want to blend work and recreation because the local administration has established a welcoming environment for remote workers. The Malta digital nomad visa has many benefits for all types of digital nomads, including freelancers and business owners.
Making Malta their base of operations is now simpler and more economical than ever thanks to these factors. You won’t be dissatisfied if you choose Malta and its digital nomad visa when you’re ready to start a new journey.
What Is Malta Digital Nomad Visa?
The Malta Digital Nomad Visa is a type of residency visa specifically designed for digital nomads and remote workers.
It allows individuals to live and work in Malta for an extended period of time, typically one year, while enjoying the country’s favorable climate, low tax rates, and high standard of living.
The visa requires applicants to have a stable source of income and provide proof of health insurance, among other eligibility criteria.
Malta Digital Nomad Visa Requirements
Malta’s Digital Nomad Visa requirements are as follows:
- Proof of income: Digital nomads must show evidence of a steady income and the ability to support themselves while in Malta.
- Health insurance: Proof of a valid health insurance policy that covers the duration of the stay in Malta.
- Accommodation: Evidence of a confirmed place of residence in Malta for the duration of the stay.
- Travel insurance: Proof of travel insurance that covers the entire duration of the stay in Malta.
- Criminal record: A criminal record certificate from the digital nomad’s country of origin or country of residence.
- Personal identification: A valid passport and recent passport-sized photo.
- Digital nomad declaration: A declaration stating that the applicant intends to work remotely while in Malta and that they are not planning to engage in any paid work within Malta.
It’s important to note that the Digital Nomad Visa is a self-declaration visa, which means that applicants must make a declaration stating that they meet the above requirements, but they do not have to provide extensive supporting documentation. However, they may be required to present some of the above documents upon arrival in Malta or during a random check by the Maltese authorities.
Malta Digital Nomad Visa Application Process
The Malta Digital Nomad Visa application process involves the following steps:
- Review requirements: Review the Digital Nomad Visa requirements and ensure that you meet them.
- Online application: Submit an online application through the Malta Individual Investor Program Agency (IIPA) website. This will involve providing personal details, passport information, and a declaration of the applicant’s intention to work remotely while in Malta.
- Payment of fees: Pay the applicable visa fees, which are currently €200 for a single entry visa and €250 for a multiple entry visa.
- Wait for approval: Wait for the Malta IIPA to review your application and make a decision. This process can take several weeks.
- Receive visa: If your application is approved, you will receive a digital visa. You will need to print a copy of this visa and present it at the Maltese border control upon arrival in Malta.
It’s important to note that the Malta Digital Nomad Visa is a self-declaration visa, which means that the Maltese authorities do not thoroughly review all the documents submitted with the visa application. However, they may randomly check the validity of the documents and the declaration made by the applicant.
Malta Digital Nomad Visa Processing Time
The processing time for the Malta Digital Nomad Visa depends on various factors such as the volume of applications received and the complexity of individual applications. However, on average, the processing time for a Malta Digital Nomad Visa is around 2-4 weeks.
It’s important to note that processing times can vary and may be longer or shorter than this average. It’s also important to apply for the visa well in advance of your intended travel date to ensure that there is enough time for the visa to be processed.
It is recommended to submit a complete and accurate application to avoid delays in the visa processing time. Incorrect or missing information in the application can result in delays or a rejection of the visa application
What Are the Benefits of Malta Digital Nomad Visa
The Malta Digital Nomad Visa offers several benefits, including:
- Tax Benefits: Malta has a favorable tax regime for digital nomads, allowing them to benefit from a flat tax rate of 15% on foreign income.
- Access to the EU: Malta is a member of the European Union, providing digital nomads with access to the single market and the ability to travel and work freely within the EU.
- High Quality of Life: Malta offers a high standard of living with a warm climate, affordable cost of living, and a strong healthcare system.
- Strong Infrastructure: Malta has a modern and well-developed infrastructure, with fast internet speeds and a thriving tech community.
- Cultural Diversity: Malta is a culturally diverse country, offering a mix of Mediterranean, African, and European influences.
- English as an official language: English is an official language in Malta, making it easy for digital nomads to communicate and integrate into local society.
How Much Is Malta Digital Nomad Visa Costs?
The cost of the Malta Digital Nomad Visa for 2023 is €75 for the online application fee. This fee must be paid when you submit your application and is non-refundable.
In addition, there may be other costs associated with obtaining a digital nomad visa, such as the cost of obtaining health insurance, obtaining a police clearance certificate, or obtaining other required documents.
It’s important to note that these costs can vary based on your individual circumstances, and you should budget accordingly.
It’s also important to keep in mind that there may be additional costs associated with living in Malta, such as housing, transportation, food, and other expenses, so it’s a good idea to research the cost of living in Malta and plan accordingly.
Overall, the Malta Digital Nomad Visa is an affordable option for digital nomads looking to make Malta their home base.
Malta Digital Nomad Visa Taxes
The Malta Digital Nomad Visa does not exempt digital nomads from paying taxes in Malta. As a digital nomad with a Malta Digital Nomad Visa, you may be considered a tax resident in Malta and therefore, be required to pay taxes on your worldwide income.
However, the exact amount of taxes that you’ll need to pay will depend on a number of factors, including your total income, your country of residence, and any double taxation agreements that may be in place.
It’s important to note that Malta has a favorable tax system, with one of the lowest corporate tax rates in the EU, at just 5%. Additionally, Malta operates a full imputation system, which means that the tax paid by a company is credited to its shareholders when they receive a dividend. This makes Malta an attractive option for digital nomads who are self-employed or running a business.
Malta Digital Nomad Visa 2023 is a game-changer for digital nomads looking for an ideal place to live and work. With its beautiful beaches, stunning architecture, rich history, and vibrant culture, Malta offers a unique and unforgettable experience.